Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Change of Opinion


When the 2nd movie in the Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian, came out, I went to go see it with some friends. I thought it was an awesome movie! There were good fight scenes (without a ton of gore), a great plot, and characters that I already liked from the first movie, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, plus a few others that I came to like as well. I hadn't actually had the pleasure of reading the books at this time, so I decided that I need to read the actual books. As we all know, the books are always better than the movie. So after looking for The Chronicles of Narnia at family's house, the library, and on the internet, I found a place where I could get the whole seres for only $7, including shipping! It was going to get to me faster than waiting for it at the library, and I could keep it! What a deal! They came in the mail just over a week ago and I got started tearing the book apart as soon as I could. If I didn't have to work, I would have finished the whole seres 2 or 3 days ago. Well, last night, I finished Prince Caspian, and I must tell you, I have changed my mind about my opinion of the movie. It was a good movie, as far as movies go, but they took so many liberties with the movie that the director should be ashamed of himself! Why mess with a masterpiece!? They mixed things up, added a love story between two characters that 1. weren't even the same age and 2. didn't have more than a few pages of the story where they were actually even in the same room! They had characters do things which were very much out of their character, and omitted things characters should have done because of things they had previously learned, but did not do in the movie. And then they go and create this whole battle that couldn't possibly, and wouldn't possibly (had the opportunity arose) have happened!

Don't get me wrong, I rather enjoyed the move, and still like it as a movie. But if you ask me, it isn't telling the same story that the books tell. Now, if they had said that it was a movie roughly based off of the books, that would be just fine. Or if they said it was a story similar to the one in the book, I would have no qualms. I just don't think that the story was told very well. C.S. Lewis did well enough on his own, thank you very much.

3 comments:

Sheri said...

I've haven't seen it yet, but I've heard much of what you said from others. The movie doesn't follow the book too well. Fortunately for me, it's been at least 10 years since I read the books....so I won't know any different. ;)

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

Thats how it is with the movie Erigon it was an amazing movie..and then we read the books and it wasn't even hardly the same story.

grandma said...

It's hard o improve on C.S. Lewis. In fact, I don't think you can!