Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Bonfire of DEATH!

Well, my 2nd cousin and best friend, Phillip is in town this week. Most of the time he's out in Georgia being a bum going to school or some other lame excuse like that. But he's back for the week! And just recently, another great friend of ours, Jessica, quit her job at Sam's Club. You add these two together and you get no just any bonfire, but a Ceremonial Burning of the Smock/Bonfire. Yes, all rather cool. Well, if that wasn't enough, we throw my cousin Josh and I into that mix and you go from a rather special bonfire to The Bonfire of DEATH DUN DUN DUN!!! Well, there is this old fence post about as tall as I am, or perhaps a little taller. So of course, people tell me that I should jump onto it from the trampoline. Thinking that that isn't the best of ideas (for this fence post doth wiggle), I decide I will just climb up it from the ground. So I am standing there for a few minutes and out of nowhere I see Josh running at me. Fearing for my life, I yell, "JACOB!!" (note: Jacob is Josh's little brother who is now on a mission) Well, he didn't know that the post had the wobbling tendency. He thought it would be a great to run and kick the post and have me jump off over top of him. At least, I assume that is what he was thinking. I did not hear the thoughts in his head, so I cannot tell you for sure. Because I didn't hear the thought in his head, I didn't jump. Instead, I fell. My feet, who were firmly planted on the one foot round post, moved with the post. My body, who preferred to stay right where it was at, did not move with the post. As I assume most of you know, when your feet move out from underneath you and your body does not move, you often fall. This is exactly what happened to me. My foot, apparently, really liked the top of that post, so it got caught on it and tried to hold me up there. Fortunately for me, the will of gravity was stronger than the will of my foot. All my foot succeeded in doing was flipping me upside down, acting as an axis for my body to turn on and knock my knee into the post. My foot came un-caught, and the ground proceeded to break my fall. I laid there for a few minutes before I wanted to move again. As I got up to go lay on the trampoline, my knee popped (this is a rather regular occurrence and thus did not bother me. Also, it was my other knee that did not hit the fence post). Everyone freaked out and I just laughed at them. From what I heard, it looked as if I did a rather un-graceful cartwheel off of the fence post and landed on my back/butt. I wish I could have seen it. I'm sure that I would have laughed at myself. Which, I have found, is the best thing you can do in situations where you make a fool of yourself. That and blogging about them. :)

5 comments:

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

HAHAH! wow those are the times you wish someone had been taking a video. Nice mental pictures! ;)

Sheri said...

Okay, the story was funny, so I want to say lol, but I can't because THAT SOUNDS SERIOUSLY NIGHTMARISHLY PAINFUL. Is it? I sorry you fall down, Keefers.

Margaret M. said...

Sounds like you had quite a tangle with inertia there lol... I'm sure the laughs will override the painful memory :-)

Keith said...

Well, it feels MUCH better now than it did the next morning! I have to go back on Friday to have the bone doctor look at it to see if it is actually fractured or if the bone is just bruised and there is fluid build up.

Caty said...

Well... just bruised or fractured? What did the bone doctor say?