Friday, November 7, 2008

Getting Ready

Wow, time is going by WAY too fast! Granted, there are a few things that I am excited for when the semester ends and I go home. Going to Taiwan is probably the first on that list. But anyway, the past week has been spent working on, among other things, getting ready for life to happen again. My flight from LAX to Kansas City had a slight problem and I just barely got it all figured out. It's not the ideal situation, but it's better than missing my flight home to Missouri just before Christmas. I'll get into California around noon Saturday December 20th, but then my flight doesn't leave for Kansas City until Sunday the 21st just before noon. So I have a 22 hour lay over in LA, thus bring the total travel time to get home up to 44 hours. That'll be fun... Besides worrying about my flight home, I have also been working on my plans for when I'm in Taiwan. I went and got everything all worked out so I can call some of my friends in 澎湖 (my paradise island), now I'm just waiting for one of my friends to get back to me with some phone numbers. As soon as I do, I'll get that all squared away.

Other than traveling (which I still don't really know exactly how the heck I'm going to get myself back to Provo) I registered for next semester's classes today. I like my schedule, it's not too bad. I am going to have a busy semester though. But it will be worth it. The only complaint that I have right now, are that all of the Chinese classes that I need are either not offered this semester or are already full. So I'm going to try to add 344 (a Chinese film class) with an add/drop card when I actually get to school. If I still can't, then I'll just have to think of some other way of speaking Chinese regularly next semester. I'm also trying to figure out job stuff. It's great fun, I'll tell you what. If I can't find anything better, I may end up being a custodian way stinking early in the morning. We'll see. At least I have my housing taken care of already though.

Sorry there aren't any great fun stories to tell about being here in China. I guess everything just seems so normal to me that I don't really know what would be interesting to other people. I have noticed though that I am very much Chinese in a lot of the things I do and how I think. I think that the first time I realized that was when I was talking about the Dao De Jing with a girlfriend and she told me how Daoist I am. Man was she right! Anyway, there isn't anything specific that comes to mind, it's just a few small things that I realize here and there about myself and realize how Chinese I am (even though I am obviously not actually Asian). I'm not sure if it's because I'm so Chinese that the Lord has lead me in the direction of China or if it's because He has lead me here and the time that I've spent here that has made me so Chinese. The world may never know.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Well when you start throwing Chinese terms into your English blog I certainly don't understand you. I was thinking that exact same then when you brought up the Dao De Jing, you definately Chinese. :)

Laura Willis said...

I always thought a 2 hour lay over was such a waste of time. Although a 22 hour lay over is a little exhausting it is not a waste of time if you know long enough in advance to make plans.
Scott and I met on LDS planet, not that you would be looking to get married but I was wondering if there was an LDS site for young people?
You could find someone safe who lives in LA and maybe even a ride to Provo? Just a thought, if there is such an opportunity people who blog might know? =)
Uncle Scott says your a novelty a white Chinese young man.
We enjoy reading, keep writing.
Love from the Willis family!

Garry the Jeweler said...

Keith don't worry about getting back to Provo. Dad and I can arrange that for you. We don't want you stuck at home anymore than you want to be stuck at home. Just let us know when you want to be back in Provo.

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

haha mom...are you saying you don't want to get stuck with Keith?

And keith...come on man! WE need pictures. Get us a picture of a hike or another one from the rooftop of you building...or one of your hostel. I am glad for the blogs you have written though. Keep it up!

Garry the Jeweler said...

Well Marisa Keith would be miserable if he was stuck at home. That would make me sad.

Keith said...

True that. I'm excited to be home for Christmas, but BYU is going to be tons of fun. And as for more pictures... I'll see what I can do :-)