Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Preparing" for Midterms


I don't like tests. But what I like less than tests are studying for them. So how do I manage, you might ask? I am after all a college student. Isn't taking tests a big part of college life? 没错! Testing is, in fact, a big part of college life. Little quizzes, or weekly tests aren't a big deal. So long as I pay attention to class and take notes, I usually remember the information needed to pass a small test. But what about Midterms, or Finals? Those are considerably more work and to be quite honest, a lot more stressful than a little quiz. 这倒也是. My first semester at BYU I found a very useful way of dealing with the stress that accompanies such big tests: I get a good, preferably thick, book, sit down and read it. No, not a text book, just a good novel or something of the like. I would enjoy going out with friends, but they are all busy stressing out over a test. Besides, I don't normally have the time to just sit down with a good book. So what was the book of choice for this round of stress? The Other Side of Heaven. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. It is absolutely amazing! It's especially fun for me because it reminds me of my mission in some ways. Mostly just his feelings towards the people of Tonga remind me of how I feel about the Chinese people. He gives some of the wonderful insights that he had on his mission, and some after his mission as well. I have been learning so much since I have been here in China. Not just about China or the Chinese language, but about myself and what I have in store for the rest of my life. It has been such a great experience. Sorry, no specifics at this point. If you are curious, I would be more than willing to share some of the insights that I have had and feelings I have had while being here with you one on one, but I didn't really feel like it would be very fitting to post a lot of those things on here.

On a slightly different note, I'm taking off later today with the rest of the Study Abroad group for a 10 day tour of 3 of the Capitals (ancient and current) of China. We will first be headed to Luoyang, where Buddhism was born in China. It is also the location of the Shaolin Temple and the Longmen Grottoes. Then we will be heading to Xi'an, which was where Qinshihuang first unified China. He is also the one who, when he was buried, instructed terracotta replicas of his army and their horses and chariots to be buried with him. So we will get to see the Terracotta Warriors, among other things while we are there. Then we will be heading to Beijing. The Great Wall, The Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, Olympic Venues... The list goes on and on. I'm so excited. It will be so much fun! I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures and let you all know how it goes!

1 comment:

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

Wow keith that sounds so stinkin awesome! I'm totally jealous. Aren't you so glad for digital cameras! Now you can take as many pictures as you want and not have to worry about how expensive it will be to get them developed. And you better take a LOAD of pictures! I'm exctied to see what pictures you may take!!!!