Saturday, October 11, 2008

450 Jiaozi


Well, here's a little story from when I was on vacation in Yangshuo...

Well, the whole group had just gotten back from one of our day excursions and we were all hungry. So we decided to go get some shui jiao's, or jiaozi's, how ever you prefer to call them. I'm not a huge fan because there was one transfer on my mission where I ate shui jiao nearly every day for the whole transfer. Needles to say, wo chi ni le (I can't handle eating them too often any more because I ate too many of them, man Chinese is so much more convienent than English). But that's where everyone was going, so I had to go with them. We went to Dumpling Dynasty (jiao zi is a Dumpling in English). They said that one serving is 10 jiaozi. There was about 14 or so of us, so we decided to get 50 jiao zi total. Well, not long later, they brought up a plate full of jiao zi. We all stared eating them... Then came another plate... It was looking like a whole lot, and by the time they brought up the 3rd plate, we realized that we had obvously had a misscommunication. There was WAY more than 50 dumplings. So as they brought the 4th plate in, we told them to stop and realized what had happened... Who ever was over on the other side of the table ordering had ordered 50 servings, not just 50 dumplings! So that meant that they were going to bring out 500 dumplings! We had them stop there where they were and realized that we had about 450 jiaozi sitting on the table in front of us. So everyone ate as much as we could. Then when we were all full, we started forcing ourselves to eat more. I'm not going to lie, there were are few of them that got thrown out the window... but it eventually turned into a game of us vs. jiaozi. The other guys were set on finishng all 450 of them. I was perfectly fine with wasting them all. We did end up finishing every single one off (excluding the few that flew away and one or two that may or may not have ended up in a tea pot). But in order to get them all gone, it was like a drinking game where everyone took a turn shoving one more nasty, cool, slightly rubbery jiaozi into their mouth and trying to get it down before the rest of them that we had eaten came up. It was quite the experience, to say the least. And to top it all off, when we split the bill, it came out to about 40 RMB a person (just under $6 USD). Normally, I am able to keep all of the money I spend in a day under 30 RMB, and most meals I only spend between 5 and 10 RMB. So I spent 4x more than I normally do on one meal for something that I didn't really want to eat in the first place. But, hey, I'm in China!

4 comments:

Garry the Jeweler said...

Well Keith that sounds like a Joseph gave. Only he would have done it on purpose.

Unknown said...

That makes my stomach hurt and the back up my throat tighten up just thinking about it!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh, that is HILARIOUS! I bet I could have helped. I never seem to feel full. If I eat slow I can keep going and going and going, I'm like the energizer pregnant lady.

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

HAHA Sarah you're awesome. I feel the same way when I'm pregnant. Which I'm not YAHOO! (forgive me I'll find anyway to tell the world that I'm not pregnant. It's ELATING!)

So what now keith? when you get upset are you going to say ,"I'm feeling down in the dumplings?"