Monday, September 15, 2008

Chinese Girls, America Boys

Well, last night was Zhong Qiu Jie, or Mid-Autum Festival. The way you celebrate Zhong Qiu Jie is you eat yuebing, or moon cakes and go out and look at the moon, which is full and very beautiful. So that's what we did. The hotel that we go to curch in (yes, we have church in the basement of a hotel, it's a really nice one too) got everyone some yuebing. It's always kind of a surprise what kind of a yuebing you are going to get. Some are ok, some are outright gross (I had one that the insided looked kind of like green playdough, and it kind of tasted the same way too...) but as far as I know, there aren't any yuebing that are just really good. But it's part of the traditon, so you eat them anyway. Well, there is this really old Buddhist temple a littl futher south of where we live, still in Nanjing city called Fuzi Miao. So we figured, it's a pretty cool place, big tourist attraction, there has to be something going on there. So we piled into 4 or 5 taxies and took off down there after we had our quick weekly Sunday devotional. Well, there were TONS of peopl! I had forgotten my camera because it was piled under all of my laundry (that's a story for another time), otherwise I would have taken some pictures of how many people there were. But we didn't really do much but look arround and walk arround. It was still really intertaining though. But I think that most of the people there found us as interesting, or more interesting even than the things we went there to see. You see, as a white person in China (especically one who speaks Chinese) you are a celebrety. You always look like Brad Pitt, or Tom Cruse, or who ever the popular actor/actress (for the ladies) is who is within 20 years or so of your age. Well, the guys were all rather enjoying all the attention that they were getting. It was really funny to see groups of people looking at us and taking pictures of us, attempting to not let us see. They failed misserably at hidding it, but it was great. Then one of the guys would ask if they wanted to take a picture with them and before you knew what was going on, you had a whole crowd of Chinese college students (some times High School students) arround you, flashing the peace sign, taking a picture. Some of the girls were thinking that the guys were letting it go to their heads a bit too much. I just thought it was funny. I tended to stick to the kids a little bit more than the people our age. Little Asian babies are just so stinking cute! Them and their baby-chaps....also a story for another time, after I get a picture. hehehe... Anyway, so today, we were walking down the road and these two 12 and 13 year old girls came up to Greg and started talking with him. It was all fine and dandy until they tried to give him this little plush olympic doll and asking if they could make friends with him. Hahaha! It was so funny! Anyway, I'm about out of time now.

Just a few more things before Igo... We have a blog for all of us students her in Nanjing to post stories and pictures. You should check it out. There is a link on the side of the page. And to see some of my pix, click here. It's on facebook. Enjoy! More updates later!

6 comments:

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

Yay! Love the BYU blog. Cant wait for more posts from there as well. And now you got me all curious as to what your camera was doing in your laundry...and what the heck baby-chaps are?

Thats awesome that you get to be a "celeb" hey just wait...someday far down the road someone will aproach you and say, "Hey I know you!" And it will end up being one of the little kids you took a picture with in china. Only they'll be a big celebrity and you'll say. Yeah I took a picture with you! haha

Anonymous said...

It's beyond sad when you have to access your son's roommate's blog in order to find out what he's been doing on the other side of the world. Please let Ryan know that the mom spy network is alive and well and that I'm watching...always watching!

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Only in a strange country were no one knows how weird you are or your family (also weird - Myself included), would any one thing your a celebrity. Well we think your a Celebrity here Keith!. Haha. Every one at the ward misses you and cant wait to see you again.

Sarah said...

So have you been working on your celebrity pose for all thoes pictures? You know, your best "I'm stuck on my self" face. Or your best "I;m hot and EVERYONE knows it face" or your best "I just adopted an Eskimo kid, aren't I generous" face

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

haha sarah you're awesome.

Keith said...

Hopefully on Sunday, I will have time to write another post on my blog and explain some more of those wonderful stories. We are also headed to HuangShan tomorrow, and I should have some good pictures of that too. And no, as of yet, I haven't quite perfected my celeb pose, but I did get a way cool Taichi outfit today that's taylored and was only about $20 USD. I love China.