Saturday, May 16, 2009

Why Death Isn't Bad

My Grandpa Willis died this past week. Enough can’t be said about what a great man he was. His funeral is this coming Thursday and I’m lucky enough to be able to hitch a ride with some of my favorite cousins back home to Missouri to attend it. Since his death on Wednesday, many of my family members have written notes on facebook or posted on their blogs about Grandpa. They have become some of my favorite things to read. My favorite is hearing or reading stories about Grandpa and things he said or did. I don’t really have a very good memory, as any of my siblings could confirm, so it is especially great to hear everyone else’s stories and memories of him. I think almost everyone has mentioned how much of Grandpa is in each of his kids and grandkids. If it isn’t his odd sense of humor, it’s his uncanny ability to fix things or to create them. Yes, Grandpa will live on in his posterity.

One of the deepest, clearest memories I have of Grandpa is him playing his harmonica while singing Alouette to us grandkids. And now after saying that, Alouette is stuck in my head. What ever memories we each have of that great man, they will always bring smiles to our faces. With such a man as Grandpa Willis was, you would be hard pressed to find anything negative about him. All who knew him loved him. He was a great example to everyone around him.

This was supposed to be about death in general, but I couldn’t resist going on about Grandpa. This just attests to my view of death. Though it is hard and sad, it is also joyous. Though talking about Grandpa before would always bring positive thoughts and feelings, after his death, those memories and feelings are more poignant than ever. Memories that haven’t been recalled in years come flooding to the forefront of my mind. Funerals should not be depressing, but a celebration of the life of those who have passed.

As I prepare to attend my Grandpa’s funeral, I think of all the people that I get to see: Cousins I grew up with, siblings, nieces and nephews, my own parents and grandparents who are still here. With the exception of my little brother who is on a mission, my whole family will be there. Such an occasion is hard to come by. I will be driving home with one of my favorite cousins who I haven’t had much of an opportunity to spend time with in over five years. I will get to see another cousin who I grew up with and went to high school with. These reunions will be happy. Though we miss our grandpa, we know that they he is now with his other loved ones who have been waiting and anxious to see him.

Much has been said about the reunions Grandpa must be having with his family, including children and grandchildren who made it home before him. How wonderful those reunions must be! Greeting a grandfather, father, brother, cousin, son who has lived a wonderful life as he passes to the next world. They must be celebrating his arrival as much or more than we are celebrating his life. One who worked so hard in this life will surly not stop to work once he has passed through the veil. Let him be an example to us, in life and death, to put forth all of the effort we can spare. Let us live as he did so that we may be able to enjoy similar reunions when our time is come and we are called home. Let Grandpa live on through us.

3 comments:

Garry the Jeweler said...

thank you Keith that was beautiful

Garry the Jeweler said...

grandpa could never remember anything either. He used to keep a little pad of paper in his pocket to make notes to himself on. Actually the pad of paper were homemade. He would save his scrap paper and cut it down with a paper cutter to the size he wanted and put glue on one end to make a pad of paper.

Sarah said...

lol I got Grandpas walk, and you got his memory loss. Thanks Grandpa. ha ha ha.
I remember mom telling me about Grandpa's homemade pads of paper and I use to do that in collage, works pretty well I think. :)