Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Funerals, sketchy ghettos, and loose teeth

I had an interesting week! As you probably know, my sweet grandmother passed away on Thanksgiving Day, and her funeral was in Portland. I was gone from Thursday to Sunday. And man alive, that trip was fun. Now that may sound weird seeing as the purpose of my visit was to attend a funeral. But let me explain. I'm not very familiar with my family on my mother's side. I have cousins I don't know the name of and others I wouldn't even recognize if they walked right up to me and started a conversation. I loved having this time to reconnect and become friends with family I haven't seen in 15 years. Some even longer.

My brother and I flew out there Thursday morning in time for a family dinner and the viewing that night. My dad, other brother, and sister got in late after the viewing. Friday morning was the funeral. And the weather was terrible! There was a snow storm overnight. Nothing compared to what we have here in Utah, but apparently they aren't used to snow in Oregon? It took us 45 minutes to drive to the church from our hotel, instead of the usual 10. So annoying. Good thing we left so early! The funeral was really lovely though. Us grand kids all sang a song for the prelude. And it was great to hear all about my grandmother's life. I know what memories I have of her, but it was wonderful to hear more about how she grew up. After the funeral and luncheon, the cousins gathered together in a room and started having this talent show type deal. It's the weirdest thing in my family. I seriously don't get it. We can't all be in the same room together without breaking into song or making fools of ourselves somehow. My sister is playing the piano, and my brothers and I are singing at the top of our lungs. We saw some dancing, heard some jokes, found that my veins aren't as deep as the doctors think they are, the works. It was SO much fun. Then all of a sudden it was time for dinner, and we decided to go to Red Robin. After dinner we went back to the hotel and played games. We only had one person complain about our noise level which was probably a miracle. But it was only 9:30! Lame! Like you're really trying to sleep at 9:30. The last of us managed to stay up until about midnight. Saturday was a free day. Which basically meant we spent the whole day playing games. Literally. Until dinner when we went to my cousin's house, had leftovers, sang, and continued to play games haha. Sunday morning was when it was time to go back home. My brother and I took a shuttle to the airport and managed to get home just fine despite a REALLY close connection in Seattle because of delays. The rest of the fam wasn't as lucky though. They got stuck in Chicago because of a storm. They slept on cots "in the sketchy ghetto in the middle of the airport with a bunch of other homeless people." And by 'slept,' I mean they stayed awake all night, afraid they were going to get robbed or murdered. At least that's what my sister says haha.

Anyway, it really was a great trip. I LOVED spending that time with my momma, daddy, brothers, and sister. I get to see them again in 10 days for Christmas break! Yahoo! They are so exhausting though haha. I'm no longer used to being active and loud every second of every day. I'll have to get more sleep over Christmas, or I don't know if I'll survive the whole 2 weeks!

As for my eye, all is well. Like I said earlier, it had started healing itself last Monday morning. Thank goodness. Because of the whole prescription and meds fiasco. But my eyes are doing just fine. On the other hand, I have a loose tooth. Which SUCKS! Sunday night when we got home, we had tacos for dinner. I guess there was a piece of gristle in the hamburger, and I chomped on it HARD, and it HURT. I felt it was loose that night. I have a dentist appointment next week, so I'm hoping it's nothing serious, and it will just tighten up after a few days. But I'm keeping an eye on it. If it gets any looser, I will see if I can go in earlier. As of right now, there's no pain or anything which makes me think it will be alright. But it has only been 2 days. You never know. And it's legitimately loose. Like, I can wiggle it with my tongue. Gross. Someday my body will stop doing retarded things. I hope.

No comments: