Saturday, March 31, 2012

General Conference

I love conference, and I mean LOVE it.

And every six months I am blown away, once again, at how much I love it. Which is honestly a weird thought. Not gonna lie, it's hard for me to watch conference. If you know me, you know I have a TERRIBLE time sitting through hours of television or watching movies. I usually fall asleep. And if that isn't the case, it's always the opposite. I go crazy if confined for too long! What makes it even better is that I have the privilege of watching it alone... I HATE being alone. Curse Keith's work schedule...

At any rate, in the midst of my intermittent napping, the drifting of my easily distracted mind, and my inability to sit in the same position for more than a few minutes at a time, I find myself in tears by the end of a session. Though I usually have to reread all of the talks at a later date to get anything out of them, one thing has always been consistently clear. The men and women that speak to us are prophets and apostles of God. Their messages are inspired and crucial to our happiness. I know that if we want to feel honest joy in this life, it is my responsibility to take heed to their council.

Rarely do I feel as humble, gracious, charitable, and grateful as I do at conference time. It is then that my eyes are opened once again to the many blessings I have received in the beautiful life that I live. I have a testimony that those blessings come because of the choices I make and the people I spend my time with. I love the Lord and everything He does for me. I know that even though He has billions of things to worry about, I am still one of His first priorities, and He truly concerns Himself with my happiness and welfare.

For some reason, these confirmations of my faith cause me to be a bit emotional. (Me?! emotional?!) Conference weekend and I have a love/hate relationship like that. I've been sporadically crying for like, the last five hours... In any case, I would rather be filled with these overwhelming feelings of gratitude, peace, and joy than not. The first two sessions of this, the 182nd General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, have been uplifting, enlightening, and profound. I encourage everyone to listen to these inspired saints.

Here is the link to happiness, peace, and love. Enjoy. :)

2 comments:

Garry the Jeweler said...

This is a beautiful post Julie. I love conference too. I'm so glad Keith has married such an amazing women. Love you lots!
Mom

Sarah said...

I think you just put into words my exact same feelings about conference. I day dream, I can't sit still, I can't really tell you what I heard in the talks at the end of the day, but If it is recalled for I I do remember it. I LOVE conference.